You will need:
a lot of salt (preferably the flaky kosher variety)
tomato sauce (that's another post)
bread crumbs (or your favorite healthier/gluten-free alternative)
cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Slice two eggplants as you like. Lay them out and salt them generously. I usually do this whenever I have time in the afternoon.
- Wait 20 minutes or a few hours, whichever is more convenient. If you have time, flip them and repeat salting.
- Rinse eggplant and pat dry.
- Spray or paint both sides of eggplant with olive oil.
- Lay eggplant slices out on a hot grill or broil in the oven, preferably on a rack. Optionally, roast cherry tomatoes at the same time. I sliced mine in half and sprayed with a little olive oil.
- When the tops start to get dark, flip if you have time, or just let them cook until they are nice and dark and floppy looking.
- Layer with tomato sauce, bread crumbs, and a little nutritional yeast.
- Top with more sauce, bread crumbs, roasted tomatoes, and lots of nutritional yeast.
- Put back in the oven for at least 5 minutes, or just keep in the oven on warm until you are ready to eat.
This is the perfect meal for making the night or morning before, or even freezing for later. Enjoy!