Tuesday, December 27, 2011

What's In It?

I often use prepackaged spice mixes.  Since you might not be able to find exactly what I'm using, I thought I'd share what is commonly in these mixes.  Different families, stores, and villages have different recipes, but the list below is a good representation of the common make-up, and most closely resembles what I'm using and what you should be able to find.  This is in preparation for a Yemenite meatball recipe I will post on Friday.

Hawaig Yemenite Seasoning from Food.com
6 1/2 tablespoons black peppercorns
1/4 cup cumin seed
2 1/2 tablespoons coriander seeds
1 1/2 tablespoons green cardamom pods
1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
3 1/2 tablespoons ground turmeric

Za'atar Middle Eastern Seasoning Mix from About.com
1/4 cup sumac
2 tablespoons thyme
1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
2 tablespoons marjoram
2 tablespoons oregano
1 teaspoon coarse salt

Curry Spice Mix from FoodNetwork.com (Alton Brown)
2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds, toasted
2 tablespoons whole cardamom seeds, toasted
2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds, toasted
1/4 cup ground turmeric
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne
(mine also has fenugreek, paprika, and "lots of love")

Tuscan Spice Rub from eHow.com
2/3 cup oregano
6 tablespoons kosher salt
5 tablespoons paprika
4 tablespoons ground fennel
4 tablespoons garlic powder
3 1/2 tablespoons dried minced onion
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons sugar

Philadelphia Spice "For chicken and fish"
I can't, for the life of me, find the ingredients for "Philadelphia."  Apparently every shop makes their own and the recipe is proprietary.  I wanted to put it here in case someone can help.  I think it is something like chili powder, smoked paprika, mustard seed... Maybe a little cumin? A little turmeric?  It's the red one in the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...